The John Stewart Company is a full-service housing management, development and consulting organization that began in 1978 with a commitment to providing high quality service in the affordable housing sector. We work to enrich the lives of our residents and employees, while delivering our services cost‐effectively, efficiently and with the highest levels of professionalism, compassion, integrity and respect.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
Mendelsohn House is a 189-unit Senior Housing property located in the South of Market Area of San Francisco. Under the supervision of the Property Manager, the Desk Clerk monitors the traffic in and out of the building and communicates appropriately with residents, guests, and staff.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Drives company’s vehicle to patrol all TODCO properties. Checks interior and exterior of each building.
* Provide meal break to each desk clerk on four properties
* Log communications, building activity including, violations of the House Rules & Visiting Policy and complete incident reports when emergency services are involved.
* Respond to emergencies by calling the appropriate emergency service, (i.e., police, ambulance, fire department) and act as a resource in emergency situations.
* Monitor building traffic, distribute housing information upon request, inform visitors of visiting policy, accept appropriate ID and sign visitors in and out.
* Promote compliance of building policies and House Rules including the denial of entry to visitors who are found by management to have violated the rules.
* Request assistance in difficult situations by calling the appropriate on-call staff person. Make decisions that allow you to handle situations on your own when possible.
* Be courteous and professional to residents and their guests while maintaining personal boundaries.
* Maintain a neat, clean, well-stocked and organized work environment.
* Perform all other related duties such as attending staff and training meetings.
* Complete incident reports to record unusual building activity.
. Must have a current driver’s license
. Ability to read, write legibly and speak fluent English
* Ability to get along with a diverse array of people in different capacities
* Prior work experience working with the general public is desired
* Professional telephone manner
* Knowledge of Fair Housing guidelines
* Diplomatic and able to set professional boundaries and firm limits
* Ability to de-escalate and not escalate situations
* Ability to work as a team player, yet independently, with minimal supervision
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
* Problem Sensitivity/ Deductive Reasoning — Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong and then apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense. Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems and considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
* Policies and Regulations — Knowledge of company polices, federal, state and local laws, government regulations and agency rules that pertain to properties managed.
* Written Comprehension and Expression — Ability to read, understand and communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
* Oral Comprehension and Expression — Ability to listen to, understand and speak so others can understand ideas and information presented verbally. Must be able to distinguish the sounds made by emergency equipment from other environmental sounds.
High School Diploma or GED or equivalent combination of education and experience is desirable.